Powered By Blogger

Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Confessions behind the chair

So on the weekend I was part of eight -year-old birthday party.
I'm not sure how my girlfriend talked me into doing this but I actually
had a great time I showed up at the house and Bridget ( the birthday girl)
and I decorated the birthday cake and the cupcakes. Then as promised Michelle poured
me a glass of wine and we waited for the party to begin.


Screamimg and giggling seemed to a big part of the evening because the girls do that.
They would whisper if they saw one of the older boys in the house.
They would even , "Evan, Evan, Evan." Bridget's older brother name
Frankly I think he will be having nightmares about that for years to come.
14 little girls, with pink dresses or white tops, glitter everywhere and giggle, giggle giggle.

 I found really interesting was there seems to be no age difference when getting you hair done.
What do I mean by that? Well 8 year old's have troubles too!
My career is one of the few that allows me to touch and be close to someone,
even if I do not know them that well. With that comes all sorts of things,
confessions, troubles at home,  hating their work, leaving their husband,
health issues and the list goes on and on.
Over the years I have had to shake off what some people
tell me because those words really can weigh me down.

So the evening wore on with girls getting their hair done and
nails painted. I did all 14 girls hair. Some wanted braids,
some wanted curls but all were talking.



What cracked me up was a
play by play of this one particular girl and her family.
She is the youngest in her family but not the youngest of all the cousins (she knows her place)
She finds the 2 year old cousin to be annoying because he breaks things.
She hates her brother (who is 14) and she hates him.
Wow, hate is a strong word!
I found this all out in under 5 minutes of doing her hair.

Over the years I have found that I am a Master colourist, great at cutting hair
but most importantly...
                                          Good at listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment