Powered By Blogger

Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Too cold for Fashion

Well its March and we are in lock down mode with cold weather.
What is cold weather for Saskatchewan people, you may ask?
-25 degrees C with a wind chill of -35 degrees C
Darn cold is all that I can say. March for some in other areas means flowers blooming
and tulips popping out of the ground. Here we are trapped in our homes
hoping it does not snow again. Please God, no more snow.(I say whining)

My 9 year old asked me the other morning if he could look on
 The Weather Channel to see what the weather was like.
 My answer,"It's damn cold. That is all you need to know."
He threw me a strange look and happily put on his warm clothes to
walk to school.That right, I make my kids walk 3 blocks to their school.
If I walked to school they can walk to school.
Right?

What is the difference with the young and old when it comes to
 fashion in the Winter time?
oh, and the older is me. I have enough counseling that I can say that now.
The Young will walk outside with their jacket undone and no hat on,
 we will wear what is need to have our ears not freeze,
and the jacket must be large enough to fit a small kid in it.
Running shoes are worn  when its -45 degrees C while the older
and wiser will wear the ugliest of boots just to stay warm.
Mitts? Who needs mitts? Gloves won't do for the over 40
 (yes I am now in that age category), the mitts need to
have triple protection with an option to add hand warmers if needed.

The best thing I ever did for myself was to buy a down jacket.
Helly Hansen is the make of the jacket, Its Puffy, Puffy and Puffy.
Its so puffy that I can NOT shoulder check while driving. I actually have to
reach behind me and punch the hood of the jacket while turning.
Not really a safe thing to do now that I am writing about this action
It was over $300 last Winter but by Spring I was happily buying it for
$99.00 dollars.

Here is my youngest wearing my jacket for a joke.
The joke is on me. I have spent my whole
lifetime trying to look fashionable and trendy
when really I am freezing to death. I do not
say this lightly. At -45 degrees C  exposed
skin will freeze in under 10 minutes.
Puffy, warm, feathers, wool, these were all
words that I avoided when I was a child.
 A stupid child
My parents took my sisters and I while we were teenagers to Bridger Bowl in Montana for a Downhill skiing trip.
It was so cold there but do you think I wore ski pants
or a Hat of any kind?
Stupidity and stubborn are words that come to mind.





The point is I am NO LONGER trying to look fashionable while
going outside in the dead of Winter.If it is that its minus a billion out,
to heck with it, I am going with warmth
NOT Fashion.

Stay warm

No comments:

Post a Comment