Powered By Blogger

Pages

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Parking Lot Haircut

Well there is a first time for everything..
Walking, riding a bike, baking your first cake, your first love
OR
A haircut in a parking lot.

Lets back up a little. I had a job interview in Regina, SK last week. I was driving there to meet
with a Stylist that works with DevaCurl.. I have not had an interview in about 20 years,
but strangely I was not nervous. I did all the thing that a Hairstylist would do to get ready. I put on a comfortable but stylish outfit. Washed and styled my hair. Organized my portfolio and printed off another resume. I even made sure to be at the spot where I agreed to meet this man half an hour early. All was well.or so I thought.
When I met Cal Ellis,one of the first things he said to me was,"Boy I sure would love to cut your hair."
I have been growing out my hair for about 2 1/2 years. when dry it sits at my shoulders but if it is wet and the curl is pulled out its another 7 inches longer. Curly hair people have to grow there hair out twice as long to have somewhat long hair. My hair was pretty much all one length and heavy and triangle like in shape.
Triangles I love in other situations but to wear it on your head its really not the best.
Without really having knowledge in DevaCurl cutting I did not know what to do. I have done what has been taught to me over the years.....

It all changed in the parking lots of the Hotel in Regina. After the interview Cal was trying to show and to explain to me how my hair should be cut. I was understanding a little but really not sure how the haircut was to be explained to my husband. The next thing I knew I was following Cal outside. It was windy but we found a wall that blocked the wind somewhat. The cape was placed  on my shouldewrs and then Cal started cutting. Snip, snap, snip, snip.
Red, curls were rolling across the parking lot like tumble weeds across the Prairies.




I let out a giggle as some old man stood from afar, chewing on a toothpick watching us. A couple walked by and 5 minutes later the man had to come back to ask what we were doing. No matter what was happening Cal snipped and cut and snipped again. I could feel my hair go from feeling heavy and geometric, to a sexy swing feel. I could see shadows on the wall and got excited. Instead of my hair being a mass of red, curly hair, it was beautiful and complimented my face. Transformation was happening even as the truck that  I stood by slowly pulled out of the parking stall. My platforms made me too tall for Cal, and he asked my to squat down so that he could reach the top layers.I have to say that was un-comfortable, but I did not complain. This man who charges $145 in the salon was cutting my hair happily and without asking me to pay. A gift given in the strangest place.

I am learning after fighting with my curls for 42 years now, its OK to have masses of curl. I need too embrace it and feel beautiful with what I have. For years I yearned for Charlies Angels hair...long, flowing, and perfectly straight. I have had friends tell me that my hair looked like crap and that I needed to do "something" with my mess. I am NOT a size 2, I do NOT have blonde hair. I am me, pale skin, freckles, hour glass figure,(no I will not tell you what size I wear) and natural ,curly hair that makes me feel sexy.
So take that Farrah Fawcett.

No comments:

Post a Comment